Barry Chess Club Individual Championship and Plate 2017-2018
1. This season’s club championship will be run as a 5 round Swiss System tournament played on 5 different Thursday nights throughout the season.
2. Entries in writing/email are required by 9 September 2017.
3. Games will be played at the West End Club. Provisional dates for Rounds are as follows:
Round 1 - 25 January 2018
Round 2 - 22 February
Round 3 – 5 April 2018
Round 4 – 3 May 2018
Round 5 – 11 June 2018
Please note these dates are provisional and may be subject to change as the tournament progresses.
4. The time limit for each round will be 30 moves in 60 minutes each followed by a 25 minute each “play to a finish”.
5. Games will be submitted for grading.
6. There is no Rule 6
7. Clocks may be started at 7:30 p.m. on each of the match days. Should one player fail to arrive by 8:00 the game will be forfeit at the request of the player present. Should neither player arrive a double default will be awarded.
8. Players may request a half point bye in any two of the first four rounds. Byes must be requested in writing to the tournament director at least two weeks before the date of the round for which the bye is requested.
9. The pairings will be decided by the Tournament Director. The Jan 2018 operational grades as used by East Glamorgan Chess Association will be used.
10. The Trophy and title of Club Champion will be awarded to the highest scoring player in the tournament.
11. The Plate will be awarded to the highest scoring player in the bottom half of the starting rank list. (note: This rule is subject to review once the entry deadline has passed)
12. In the event of a tie for the Championship or the Plate the title and award of the trophy will be decided by the individual results between the players sharing the scores. If this fails to result in a winner the trophy and title will be decided by the application of the Sonneborn-Berger system. (Players will be awarded the full score of each of the opponents they have beaten plus half the score of each of the opponents with whom they have drawn). The highest scoring player will receive the trophy and the title. Should this further fail to separate players the following tie break systems will be applied in the order given here:
* Sum of Opponents’ Scores
* Tournament Grading Performance
* Average Grade of Opponent Played
* Sum of Progressive Scores
* A rapid-play or blitz play off or mini-league. Pairings to be determined when required. Where players have met in the main competition any pairing in the mini-league will be made with colours reversed unless this confers an unfair advantage on one or more players.
13. In all matters and in the event of any dispute the tournament director’s decision is final. Where there may appear to be a conflict of interest the responsibility for making that decision will be passed to an official of the club where no such conflict of interest is apparent.
029 2059 4666